Skip to main content

Funding FAQ

  • Who pays for TXVSN statewide catalog courses?
  • The student’s school district or open‐enrollment charter school pays the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for courses. The TEA collects payment from the student’s district and then pays the selected course provider. If the student successfully completes the TXVSN course, then TXVSN operations invoices the district or school for 100% of the course cost, but if the student is not successful or drops after the designated drop period, then 70% of the course cost is due.

  • For how many statewide catalog courses must a district pay?
  • Because a total of no more than three courses taken through the TXVSN statewide course catalog per semester may be used in determining a student’s ADA eligibility, a district may decline to pay for more than three courses per semester, per student. If the district has the student or parent assume the course cost, the TXVSN will still collect the course cost from the district.

  • Who pays the statewide catalog course provider?
  • After semester course results are posted, the TEA pays the course provider the full course cost for each successfully completed course. For courses dropped after the designated drop period or for which students were unsuccessful, 70% of the course cost is paid to the course provider. The TXVSN operations then invoices and the TEA collects funds from the students’ district or school.

  • What sources of funds may districts use to pay for TXVSN catalog course costs?
  • A district or charter school may use a variety of sources of funds to pay TXVSN catalog course costs, including but not limited to the following:

    • Foundation School Program (FSP) funds
    • Instructional Materials Allotment (IMA) funds
    • Federal grant and program funds, including Title I, IDEA-Part B, etc., per the rules of the grant or program
    • State grant or program funds, per the rules of the grant or program (Examples: technology, STEM, or high school improvement grants)
    • Local funds
    • May be student-paid, under certain circumstances allowed by state law

Return to top